We did this fun pumpkin math with candies.
The pages are part of this pack: Simple Schooling Autumn Fun Pack (which I can no longer find anywhere).
We figured area and perimeter!
They just traced the picture with candies for perimeter and filled in the pumpkin for area.
First, the girls placed M&Ms around the outside of the pumpkin to measure perimeter.
Tori is saying 42. They both got 42 for perimeter.
And it’s the meaning of everything. sigh
Then they covered the pumpkin picture for area.
Extend the activity:
- Estimate and Measure the height and width of real pumpkins with a tape measure.
- Estimate and Measure the circumference of real pumpkins with a tape measure.
- Calculate the diameter and radius – using the circumference measurement.
- d=C÷3.14 (3.14 is otherwise known as π or pi)
- Estimate and weigh pumpkins before and after cleaning out the seeds to make jack o’ lanterns.
- Estimate and count the seeds.
- Dissect the seeds.
- Measure the shell thickness.
- Count the vertical lines on the sides of the pumpkin skin. These numbers can be used to calculate:
- Fractions – “1/2 of the pumpkin is equivalent to 8/16”
- Percentages – “What percentage of the pumpkin is equivalent to 4/12?”
- Degrees – “If a full circle is 360°, how many degrees is 1/8 of the pumpkin?”
- Measure the volume of the pumpkin using water displacement.
- Compare pumpkin measurements if you have several. Make graphs.
- Test gravity by dropping pumpkins from different heights.
- Make your favorite pumpkin recipes!
Fall Chalk Pastels has a great pumpkin art project!
We also completed our reviews in Singapore math 1B and worked on Life of Fred math lessons this week.
Linking up: The Resourceful Mama, Curly Crafty Mama, Life of Faith, ABC Creative Learning, Living Montessori Now, Kiddy Charts, The Modest Mom, What Joy is Mine, A Proverbs 31 Wife, A Life in Balance, Rich Faith Rising, Growing Hands on Kids, Simple Life of a Fire Wife, The Educators Spin On It, Hip Homeschool Moms, True Aim Education, The Natural Homeschool, Tots and Me, The Stay at Home Mom Survival Guide, I Choose Joy, Frogs Lilypad, A Little R&R, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Raising Homemakers, Pat and Candy, Time Warp Wife, F Dean Hackett, Cornerstone Confessions, Snap Creativity, Home Stories A to Z, Your Homebased Mom, Homemade for Elle, Christian Montessori Network, Life with Lorelai, Happy and Blessed Home, Sunny Day Family, Gluesticks and Gumdrops, The Jenny Evolution, Crafty Moms Share