I love it when the remedy works immediately, like a miracle.
Then there are times when our bodies need time to heal and we wait.
We apply essential oils and we want immediate relief.
I don’t like waiting.
When we pop a pill, we expect instant relief. Because that’s what they often provide. Allopathic medicine often blocks our body’s ability to register the symptom.
I’m not always sure what the problem is…
Whether from hormones, processed food chemicals, not enough rest, poor diet, dehydration…
Or the barometric pressure, crazy fluctuating weather, altitude, the bright sunshine…
or maybe I just need new glasses.
I’ve been having migraines more frequently lately.
I’ve been using supplements and essential oils to help balance myself.
I took Midrin when I suffered from migraines during my pregnancy with my middle daughter.
I went to the hospital last year with pain radiating from my left arm and chest. They did tests and found nothing. The doctors said that was a once in a lifetime bad migraine. It was bad.
It’s probably just stress.
I’ve read that excess estrogen can cause all sorts of problems. I do not take any oral contraceptives or have an IUD any longer.
Natural remedies that may help with headache pain:
- essential oils: Pine, Lavender, Fir, Frankincense, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Peppermint, Wintergreen, Chamomile, and certain blends (see below for some favorites!)
- staying hydrated
- magnesium spray or supplements
- exercising regularly
- eating well (we like eMeals for simple meal planning!)
- sleeping well
- balancing hormones (I recommend this book to help with any hormones issues – or find a natural professional)
- know your pain triggers and how to prevent them (check out Diagnose Yourself book)
- chiropractic care or physical therapy
A Migraine Story:
I slogged through the day.
I did school with my youngest and eldest, but the middle girls just played all day because I didn’t have the energy to go through their work with them.
I did plan and prepare the meals and did the necessary chores.
But close to dinnertime, I was done.
The dull ache had turned into a violent throb and I had to lie down.
I closed all the blinds but it wasn’t dark enough. Every vibration of sound made me more nauseated.
Aaron made me a “pain bomb” capsule with several essential oils.
He rubbed Peppermint and several oil blends and I don’t even remember what else on my feet and the back of my neck.
I drank about a quart of water.
We diffused Pine. It smells heavenly. It immediately opened my stuffy nose and ears.
I especially like an oil blend with Peppermint, Lemon, Balsam fir, Copaiba, Clove, Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Vetiver, and Palo Santo. Super convenient to keep in a roll-on to rub on my neck at the first warning of migraine.
I like Citrus oils and Spearmint in water. A great, tasty way to stay hydrated. But too much citrus often make my lips raw.
I got shaky and nauseated. Like migraines tend to do.
Somewhere between the praying I could puke and die or be able to eat a little dinner and be normal, I slept.
I didn’t get back up until the morning.
I was still a little woozy.
But I was not in pain.
Able to do school with my kids and read aloud and clean up and do all the things mothers need to do.
And it’s my birthday!
5 types of migraines and how to heal naturally
Foods to avoid if you suffer from migraines.
Supplements and natural help for migraines.
More natural remedies for migraines.
Integrative Pain Management
- Easy stretching and strengthening exercises like yoga and pilates are low-impact and help maintain a healthy body so pain isn’t so prevalent.
- Chiropractic care helps keep everything in shape and can treat pain triggers.
- Eating healthy and making sure to get enough sleep are right choices for anyone.
- Limiting stress helps me stay pain-free.
- Daily fresh air and exercise are helpful.
- I take regular vitamins and supplements to help my body maintain a balanced immune system and handle stress more easily.
All bodies are different. These essential oils often work for me but they might not work for you. pH and all sorts of other factors are involved. Zyto scans are helpful. We use our Higley guide and EODR to help us find oil combinations that work for us.
A great roll-on Essential Oil recipe:
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops chamomile essential oil
- 1 ounce of magnesium oil
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.