We’re finishing up our Ancient Studies history year with an Ireland unit. I’m also including some resources for the other time periods because it’s hard not to discuss everything when questions arise.
I’ve always had a fascination with Ireland and this unit study is really exciting for our family.
We read a lot of books, watched some movies, listened to Irish music (old and new), and took a trip to Ireland!
We’re all about experiential learning!
We loved seeing all the sheep and sweet Irish Wolfhounds.
Ireland is so beautiful! Yes, it really is that green.
- What Life Was Like Among Druids and High Kings (we found this at our local library)
- Treasures of Ireland by A.T. Lucas (also found at our local library)
- Brigid’s Cloak by
- Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland by
- The Story of Saint Patrick by
- Patrick: Saint of Ireland by Diana Mayo
- St. Patrick’s Day by Gail Gibbons
- St. Patrick’s Day in the Morning by Eve Bunting
- The Saint and his Bees by
- Saint Brendan and the Voyage Before Columbus by Michael McGrew
- Irish Folk Tales by Henry Glassie (this was one of my college course texts!)
- Early Irish Myths and Sagas by Jeffrey Gantz (this was also one of my college course texts!)
- Druids, Gods, & Heroes from Celtic Mythology by Ann Ross
- Step into the Celtic World by Fiona MacDonald
- Life in Celtic Times by A.G. Smith
- Raiders of the North: Discover The Dramatic World Of The Celts And Vikings by Fiona MacDonald
I love to read along with my children, but sometimes I want something meatier or I just get very interested and want to delve deeper.
I’ve been enjoying the Ireland series by Frank Delaney.
(always preview or children view at your discretion)
There are a great many PBS and History Channel DVDs about ancient and more recent Ireland events at our library.
- The Secret of Roan Inish – a fun magical legend!
- The Secret of Kells
- Michael Collins
- The Wind That Shakes the Barley
- Some Mother’s Son
- In the Name of the Father
- The Boxer
- Bloody Sunday
- Dancing At Lughnasa
- The Quiet Man (filmed on the grounds of Ashford Castle!)
Activities and Printables
We’re kinda getting out of the crafts stage and doing more activities and writing.
- St. Patrick’s Day and Ireland printables from Education.com (I printed these for our plane rides and road trips.)
- We wrote limericks while driving through the City of Limerick, Ireland
- FREE unit study from Knowledge Quest Maps!
- Lots of FREE and FRUGAL Irish printables from Currclick.
- This fun lapbook from A Journey Through Learning.
- Teach the Trinity with shamrocks.
- A FREE lapbook from Homeschool Share.
- FOOD! Bake soda bread and make corned beef and cabbage. (We had some delightful modern Irish food. They have amazing bread, butter, and potatoes!)