We visited the Big Island of Hawaii for Elizabeth’s 9th birthday in October 2009. I was pregnant with Alex at the time.
It’s a quick and cheap hop over from the island of Oahu on Hawaiian Airlines. We lived in Honolulu for three glorious years.
We actually stayed inside Volcanoes National Park.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is a very educational family trip with so many activities for everyone.
We stayed in an amazing 3 Bedroom Cottage with Kitchen & Jetted Tub at Kilauea Military Camp.
Here is where a newer lava flow meets an older lava flow.
On Steaming Bluff, overlooking the caldera.
Walking past Steam Vents. It was ethereal and made the forest look misty and magical.
We loved seeing the vibrant and stunning flowers that grow nowhere else in the world!
Aaron and Liz walked along the Sulphur Banks Trail (Ha‘akulamanu). It’s 0.6 mile.
The warning signs said the odor could be hazardous to pregnancy, young children, or anyone with heart or breathing problems, so I took the younger girls to the visitor’s center to wait.
Aaron also took the girls to view the Lava Tube. It was wet and slippery and dark, so I stayed behind for that one.
The rock formations inside the lava tube were very interesting.
As easy hike for kids is Crater Rim Trail to Waldron Ledge. It’s 1 mile.
There are some awesome views!
Our last day, we hiked Devastation Trail. It’s 1 mile.
It is still revitalizing after being buried by cinders from the 1959 Kīlauea Iki fountain eruption.
The kids loved the Jagger Museum.
Liz earned her Junior Ranger badge!
Areas of Study at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park:
Botany, Geology, Mythology, History, Ecology, Meteorology, Forestry!
- Volcanoes National Park Junior Ranger Program
- Volcanoes National Park Teacher Curriculum Materials
- Hawaiian Unit Study from Adventures in Mommydom
- Hawaii State Study Notebooking Pages from The Notebooking Nook
- State Study Pages Bundle from NotebookingPages
- Volcano Unit Study from Stacy Sews and Schools
- Volcanoes Lapbook and Unit Study from Homeschool Share
- Volcanoes Mini Study from DIY Homeschooler
- Volcanoes Unit Study AND Hawaii Unit Study from Homeschool Helper Online
- Winterpromise Free Volcano Study
- Hawaii Activities from Rose Garden Homeschool
- Hawaii State Pack from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom
- The Island Below the Star Literature Unit Study from Homeschool Share
- Hawaii Unit Study from Craft Knife
- Hawaii Printables from EdHelper
- Enchanted Learning Hawaii Printables
- DLTK Hawaiian Activities and Printables
- Education.com Hawaii Resources
- Hawaiian Activities from ChildFun
- A to Z Kids Stuff Hawaii Facts and Fun
- Top 10 Hawaii Tours & Activities by Viator