The kids love this creamy dill chicken orzo soup in springtime – or anytime!
It’s a great way to use chicken leftovers.
Or, I roast some seasoned chicken breasts in the oven while I prep everything else.
I seasoned these with paprika, garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper. I drizzled olive oil to make sure they didn’t stick to the pan.
A super easy way to shred cooked chicken is to use the paddle attachment on the stand mixer.
Give it a whirl until it’s the desired shredded consistency.
I sliced a leek, chopped some celery and carrots. Close enough to the holy trinity of cooking: mire poix.
I sauté those up in a little butter and bacon grease.
You need a good chicken stock. We usually have some homemade chicken stock in the freezer. But we like Kitchen Basics too.
I dump in the frozen stock and put a lid on it. It melts in a just few minutes.
I prefer fresh dill, but we used dried this time.
I throw a handful of sea salt in a pot to boil the orzo al dente.
When the water has big bubbles, I dump in about a cup of orzo.
I drain the orzo and spritz on some olive oil so it doesn’t get all sticky.
The stock is melted, so I blend the vegetables with my stick blender.
The soup is hot, so be careful with the blender.
It’s all pretty now.
I add in the orzo and shredded chicken. I sprinkle in about 1 T of dill.
It smells amazing.
Dill Chicken Soup
- 1 T olive oil or bacon grease
- 4-6 chicken breasts or thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 leek sliced
- 1-2 stalks celery chopped
- 1-2 carrots chopped
- 6 c chicken stock
- 1 c orzo cooked to al dente
- 1/4 c fresh dill or 1 T dry dill
- 1-2 T lemon juice
- Season and roast chicken breasts in oven at 350* until cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Or use leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Cook leek, celery, and carrot, in oil or grease, stirring often, until soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Set water and salt to boil. Cook orzo according to instructions. Drain. Drizzle with oil so it doesn’t stick together.
- Add broth to vegetables and bring to boil.
- Shred chicken with stand mixer or forks.
- Blend vegetables and broth with stick blender.
- Add chicken, orzo, and dill to soup and warm.
- Season with lemon, salt, and pepper.