We visited Flanders Fields.
It’s something I’ve always wanted to see.
We took a little trip to Bruges, Belgium…and saw the Flanders Fields WWI sites on the way back home to Germany.
It was emotional to see all the monuments and memorials to the Commonwealth soldiers.
The “Brooding Soldier” statue by Frederick Chapman Clemesha in the St. Julien Memorial was poignant and much taller than I expected.
We enjoyed the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917.
Open from Monday to Sunday, from 9:00 to 18:00. Last admission at 16:30. A museum visit lasts approximately two hours.
Adults: €6,5 or €10,5 with audioguide
Students: €4 or €7 with audioguide
Under 7 FREE
I read that it was a fun and interactive museum, but we were really blown away by how well put-together it is. We didn’t bother to get audio-guides. The plaques on each display were in English and we read every single one.
The kids loved the interactive exhibits, trying on body armor and helmets, gas masks, and cloaks.
The kids were excited to see a stuffed messenger pigeon like Cher Ami.
Cher Ami was a registered Blue Check Hen carrier pigeon, one of 600 birds owned and flown by the U.S. Army Signal Corps in France during World War I. Download the Cher Ami real story here.
The exhibits were really amazing.
We really experienced history in the replicated dugout and trenches.
There was a gorgeous park with lots of walking trails. We had a picnic lunch by the pond.
The Menin Gate was breathtaking.
I really wanted to see the Essex Farm Cemetery and Memorials.
John McCrae wrote the poem In Flanders Fields.
It was memorable to see all these World War I sites and I’m so glad the kids and I got to experience this history.
Also, here’s my World War I Unit Study.
Learn about WWI, Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, and Veterans Day
- DK Eyewitness Books: World War I by
- World War I for Kids: A History with 21 Activities by
- The War to End All Wars: World War I by
- Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood by
- War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- All Quiet on the Western Front by
- A Farewell to Arms by
- Silver Threads by
- War Game: Village Green to No-Man’s-Land by
- Truce by
- Christmas in the Trenches by
- Shooting at the Stars: The Christmas Truce of 1914 by
- Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce by
- Christmas Truce: A True Story of World War 1 by
- Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour: Armistice Day, 1918 World War I and Its Violent Climax by
- Archie’s War by
- A Brave Soldier by
- Rags: Hero Dog of WWI: A True Story by
- Stubby the War Dog: The True Story of World War I’s Bravest Dog by
- Stubby the Dog Soldier: World War I Hero by
- In Flanders Fields: The Story of the Poem by John McCrae by
- The Poppy Lady: Moina Belle Michael and Her Tribute to Veterans by
- Where Poppies Grow: A World War I Companion by
- A Poppy Is to Remember by
- Remembrance Poems & Readings: Reflection on Matters of War & Peace by
- Come On In, America: The United States in World War I by
- The Wall by
- America’s White Table by
Activities and Printables:
- Activity Village Remembrance Day
- 51 Remembrance Day Poppy Craft Ideas from Everything Mom
- French Remembrance Day Activities by For French Immersion
- Remembrance Day from DLTK
- 51 Remembrance Day Poppy Craft Ideasfrom Everything Mom
- WWI from BBC
- History of Veterans Day from History Channel
- Lemon Poppy Sugar Cookies from The Endless Meal
Learn about American Memorial Day:
- How to Memorial Day
- Don’t say Thanks for Service
- FREE Notebooking Pages
- ABC Teach – Free Memorial Day printables
- Home of Heroes – Free Medal of Honor Coloring Book printables
- Making Learning Fun – Memorial Day activity pages
- Raising Our Kids – Memorial Day coloring pages
- Homeschool Helper Online – Memorial Day resources
- The Homeschool Mom – Memorial Lesson Plans
- Homeschool Creations – Memorial Day Printables
- Memorial Day Preschool Cutting Practice from 3 Boys and a Dog
- How to Make a DIY Patriotic T-Shirt from Crafty Mama in ME
- 10 Cool Family Tents for Camping from FrogMom
- Memorial Day – A Day to Remember from Tales of Education at Home
- F is for Flag Handwriting Letter Mazes from Simple Fun for Kids
- Memorial Day Penmanship Worksheet from Schooling a Monkey
- Memorial Day Word Search from Something 2 Offer
- Learning With My Boys – Memorial Day unit study
- Educents Memorial Day Activity Pack
Linking up: Travel Loving Family, Barbie Swihart, Modest Mom, Curly Crafty Mom, Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth, Life of Faith, B Loved Boston, Holley Gerth, Donna Reidland, Wandermust Family, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Blogghetti, A Fresh Start, Marilyns Treats, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Wandermum, Southern Beauty Guide, Mummascribbles, MaryAndering Creatively, Jaime Wiebel, Simple Life of a Fire Wife, My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies, LouLou Girls, April JHarris, Teaching what is Good, Wise Woman, Life Beyond the Kitchen, A Bountiful Love, Coffee with us 3, Life with Lorelai, What a Wonderful World, Sincerely Paula, Missional Women, Easy Peasy Pleasy, Happy and Blessed Home, The Answer is Chocolate, The Mommyhood Moments, Joyful Homemaking, Creative K Kids, Our Three Peas, Education Possible, My Learning Table, Organized 31, Katherine’s Corner, Lyli Dunbar, Crystal T Waddell, Arabah Joy, Quietly Reminded, Debbie Kitterman, Mommynificent, Plunge Deep Climb Steep, Brenda Bradford Dottinger, Pat and Candy, Becoming Press, T Suzanne Eller, Being a Wordsmith, Our Mini Family,