Fresh tomatoes warm from the sunny garden are a favorite scent and flavor.
I miss my garden with Roma and Marzano tomatoes from my Utah garden.
We had so many tomatoes that year, we taught ourselves how to can tomato sauce so we had that fresh delicious flavor in the dead of winter.
Now we buy the tomatoes, on sale, ready to sauce, at local farmers markets.
We love this slow cooker marinara.
It’s super easy and my daughter is the resident marinara maker the last two years! Here she is last year, making sauce.
We cook the tomatoes and other vegetables with dried spices in the slow cooker for about 12 hours. Fresh spices are great for finishing recipes, but they become bitter when cooked down. We reduce it if it’s too thin. Sometimes, I adjust the flavor by adding a little more sugar or some lemon juice.
We then process it with our KitchenAid attachments and water bath can it.
Super simple and we use it on pizza, as a base for pasta sauces, and in other recipes.
We can never have too much!
Thanks to Ball canning for all the lovely jars!
Slow Cooker Marinara
- 8 large tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 sweet onion roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 t basil
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t marjoram
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1.5 t sugar or honey
- 2 t Balsamic vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in slow cooker and set on low for 12 hours. Your kitchen will smell amazing!
- Process in batches in a food processor and strain through a food mill to get rid of peels and seeds – or use the handy dandy KitchenAid attachment.
- If the sauce is too thin, we reduce it (thicken) in a big chili or stock pot on the stovetop for about 30 minutes to an hour. I adjust seasoning at this time too.
- Freeze sauce in manageable amounts in zipper bags or plastic containers – or use jars in a bath canner.
- Not Your Mama’s Canning Book: Modern Canned Goods and What to Make with Them by Rebecca Lindamood
- Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
- Water Bath Canner
- Enamelware Water Bath Canning Pot Set
- Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixers
- Fruit and Vegetable Attachment Strainer for KitchenAid Stand Mixers