Fresh tomatoes warm from the sunny garden are a favorite scent and flavor.
I miss my garden with Roma and Marzano tomatoes from my Utah garden.
We had so many tomatoes that year, we taught ourselves how to can tomato sauce so we had that fresh delicious flavor in the dead of winter.
Now we buy the tomatoes, on sale, ready to sauce, at local farmers markets.
We love this slow cooker marinara.
It’s super easy and my daughter is the resident marinara maker the last two years! Here she is last year, making sauce.
We cook the tomatoes and other vegetables with dried spices in the slow cooker for about 12 hours. Fresh spices are great for finishing recipes, but they become bitter when cooked down. We reduce it if it’s too thin. Sometimes, I adjust the flavor by adding a little more sugar or some lemon juice.
We then process it with our KitchenAid attachments and water bath can it.
Super simple and we use it on pizza, as a base for pasta sauces, and in other recipes.
We can never have too much!
Thanks to Ball canning for all the lovely jars!
Slow Cooker Marinara
- 8 large tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 sweet onion roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 t basil
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t marjoram
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1.5 t sugar or honey
- 2 t Balsamic vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in slow cooker and set on low for 12 hours. Your kitchen will smell amazing!
- Process in batches in a food processor and strain through a food mill to get rid of peels and seeds - or use the handy dandy KitchenAid attachment.
- If the sauce is too thin, we reduce it (thicken) in a big chili or stock pot on the stovetop for about 30 minutes to an hour. I adjust seasoning at this time too.
- Freeze sauce in manageable amounts in zipper bags or plastic containers - or use jars in a bath canner.
Linking up: The Chicken Chick, Blogghetti, Life of Faith, Our Holiday Journey, Create with Joy, Darling Downs Diaries, Inspiration for Moms, Confessions of a Mother Runner, Mrs. AOK, Coffee with Us3, Trekking Thru, April Harris, LouLou Girls, Wonderful Wednesday, Over the Moon, Jessi’s Design, Wise Woman, Our Three Peas, R&R at Home, Gingersnap Crafts, Country Cottage, Thursday Favorite Things, Penny’s Passion, MaryAndering Creatively, Bountiful Love, Fireman’s Wife, Creative K Kids, Simply Sweet Home, CWJ, Oh My Heartsie Girl, Overwhelmed to Fulfilled, Anna Nuttall, Answer is Choco, Cup of Tea, RCH Reviews, Momfessionals, Blended Blog, Susan Mead, Counting My Blessings, Crystal Waddell, Life with Lorelai, My Learning Table, Being a Wordsmith, Our Mini Family,