I’m revisiting what worked for Big Sister our second year and changing up some things I’ve found since for 2nd grade curricula with the girls and my son.
Second grade is such an exciting time.
Reading, writing, exploring. Kids are so curious and excited.
I don’t want to ever kill that love for learning.
I highly recommend the books by Louise Bates Ames. A good guide to follow is What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
My girls were 7 and 6, respectively, in 2nd grade:
- Bible – The Dig Volume 2, Studying God’s Word B, and Grapevine Bible Studies. The girls love to do all these every day! I try to mix it up a little.
- ELA – First Language Lessons (1-2), Spelling Workout B, Logic of English. We don’t do all of this every day.
- Math – Life of Fred Butterflies and Singapore Math 2. We alternate days with these. Tori prefers LOF and Kate prefers Singapore. Compromise!
- Science – Apologia Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and notebooking journals. Katie especially loves experiments.
- History/Geography – Tapestry of Grace Year 3 with Story of the World, years 3&4. The girls are finally enjoying history and the read alouds, notebooking, maps, narration, projects.
- Electives – Prima Latina, Song School Spanish, Children’s Music Journey 2 online piano, Harmony Fine Arts w/ ARTistic Pursuits. We do these once a week.
My son for second grade:
- Journey Through the Bible New Testament
- All About Reading
- Life of Fred and Singapore Math 2
- Apologia Science – animals and plants
- Tapestry of Grace for humanities
While I have my little checklist of facts and concepts I want my kids to know, I don’t drill or make it boring. It’s about exposure at this point, so when we cycle back through, they will recognize and add to their knowledge base.
I don’t focus on a lot of writing yet.
They have lots of free time to play indoors and outside. We go on nature hikes and explore our backyard.
We cook together and do chores together. I naturally include them so they learn. They beg to help!