This is a great dish to use up leftovers.
I always make this casserole after Thanksgiving. And the kids get so excited if I make it any other time.
No canned soup!
Homemade Turkey Divan Casserole with chopped turkey, broccoli, cheese, and noodles.
I make a roux with sautéed veggies in butter with flour and then add milk or cream to make a béchamel sauce. Look how thick it is! It smells quite divine and tastes wonderful alone.
Layers of deliciousness – turkey, veggies, cheese, noodles.
Ready to pop in the oven for a great frugal healthy meal for our hungry family.
Warm gooey cheesy deliciousness!
Turkey Divan Casserole
- 3 T butter
- 1/4 c AP flour
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c mushrooms sliced or chopped
- 1/4 c bell pepper any color, but we love red or yellow or orange
- 2 c cooked turkey or chicken chopped
- 1-2 c broccoli chopped
- 1 box noodles prepared according to instructions
- 1.5 c shredded cheese We like a Mexican blend
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 t garlic powder to taste
- Boil noodles according to directions.
- Chop vegetables and saute in butter.
- Sprinkle with flour and then immediately whisk in milk.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes, depending on how crispy you like the top.