I’m joining up with some of my geeky friends in an ABCs of Raising Well-Rounded Geeklings blog roundup.
S is for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The acronym originally was Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law enforcement Division.
It was changed in 1991 to Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate.
Some agents refer to the acronym as Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.
I must say we’ve only seen season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Debating whether to buy season 2 on Amazon Instant Video or wait for it to come to Netflix.
But we’ve watched all the Avengers movies.
And I totally love watching and discussing all of these shows and movies with my kids and tying in the allegory with what we’re studying in our homeschool.
The kids and I all love the many acronyms associated with S.H.I.E.L.D. and its subsidiary organizations.
I love the theme of PROTECTION throughout season 1.
Agent Coulson protecting his agents. His memories being protected from him. Skye protecting Coulson because she finally trusted someone. And all of S.H.I.E.L.D. protecting Skye from her past.
I can’t wait to see who they all become.
Superheroes and villains. Sacrifice and redemption. It’s all there. Some of the quotes from this show and all the Marvel comics and Avengers world are just amazing. How they’re all connected! It’s UNIVERSAL. My kids and I can get lost in research.
I’m using the events and circumstances to have amazing conversations with my children about how different people respond to the same situation. Some get angry and go dark side while others rise above and become heroes.
Who do you become?
We’re really focusing on Agents Coulson, Skye, and Ward for our character studies.
- How do past experiences and relationships affect our current decisions?
- Who would you want to be like? Why?
- Who would you not want to be like? Why?
- How do you trust someone after he betrays you?
- How do you maintain faith when there is no evidence or evidence to the contrary?
- Is anyone pure evil or pure good?
- What role do governments play and how is this good and bad? Should they hold the power they do?
- Should secrets be kept from people and who gets to decide? Who makes the rules and who holds the power?
- Is the agent level heirarchy good? Do they protect or harm those who aren’t at that pay grade yet?
- Why are most agents loners, with few friends or family? Why are they often the chosen ones?
I made my kids a Venn diagram for S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra. We’ve been studying World War II so this is just perfect timing!
Elizabeth is working hard on her chart and is researching all about S.H.I.E.L.D. canon along with her history studies. I love making school fun and relevant. We also have the show Agent Carter to explore!
We’ve compared Wikis:
- Agents of SHIELD Wikipedia
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel wikia
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. wikia
- Marvel Cinematic Universe S.H.I.E.L.D. wikia
- Marvel Movies S.H.I.E.L.D. wikia
Of course, we had to research hydras with Greek mythology and Asgard with Norse mythology. There are many mythologies and archetypes in the Marvel comics! We will discuss this at length in our ancient studies next year.
This is just a milkid’s dream, y’all. Lasers, bionic limbs, labs, and guns blowing stuff up. The kids love the science behind it and researching the how and IS IT ALL POSSIBLE?
We’re studying the progression of weaponry from WWI to present day and how times has changed. And in the show, they also incorporate alien technology. This adds some ethical elements to discuss.
We are totally IN LOVE with Fitz Simmons. They are precious and geeky and just darling.
And they’re into Doctor Who!
Of course, Simmons chooses The T.A.R.D.I.S. on her deserted island when questioned!
We love how Fitz and Simmons work together and trust each other. We’re excited to see how this develops.
We’ve enjoyed this time together, watching and learning and discussing.
We’re looking forward to the new Avengers movie and other films in the extended series. We love Marvel!
Linking up: Los Gringos Locos, Golden Reflections, Enchanted Homeschooling Mom, Simple Life of a Fire Wife, B Inspired Mama, The Educators Spin on It, A Life in Balance, Hip Homeschool Moms, Milk & Cuddles, The Life of Jennifer Dawn, Blessed Learners, All Kinds of Things, Wife Mom Geek